Our Approach: STEM+A and Advanced Placement
STEM + Arts and Advanced Placement are the core of our Academic Programming at Fulford Academy.
An Effective Way to Learn For the Future
What is STEM+A?
An Integration of Science, Technology, Engineering, Math and the Arts
It is an integrated approach to learning which involves a cross-curricular connection between two or more standards from Science, Technology, Engineering, Math and the Arts to be taught AND assessed in and through each other. The primary focus of STEM + A is inquiry, collaboration, and project-based learning.
Since joining the BAU Global Network, Fulford Academy applies the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics + Arts, (STEM+A) approach. Our students will engage in cross-curricular studies that involve coding, robotics, mechanical design and engineering problem solving as an integral part of their learning. This unique and effective approach is applied across universities in Europe and we are leading the way in the future of education by offering it as the core of our curriculum.
This type of learning gives the student a high-level perspective on how to solve a problem by using 2 or more approaches from different areas of study, giving them an advantage to apply deeper thinking when working on projects at school, and will apply this process throughout their education career all the way into the boardroom, the science lab and beyond.
What is Advanced Placement (AP)?
An inclusive way to successfully prepare students with the skills they need for university, the workplace and beyond.
Advanced Placement (AP) is a program designed to teach high school students a university-level curriculum in grades 11 and 12. If a student has a high score in their AP examinations, they may be granted course credits and advance to second-year courses upon acceptance to a university.
What Are The Advantages of AP and AP Prep?
- Students who take pre-advanced placement (grade 9-10) and Advanced Placement (grade 11-12), gain the soft skills and critical thinking skills that set them up for success in university and in the workplace.
- It allows students to sharpen their research skills, learn effective time management, gain confidence through presentation skills and gives them the ability to see different ways of problem-solving.
- It is designed to accommodate different types of learners, and it trains teachers to have a flexible approach to accommodate learning styles.
- The philosophy of the AP course is to be inclusive and encourages students who may be hesitant to learn something new, to try it.
AP Courses that are offered by Fulford Academy are:
- AP Biology
- AP Chemistry
- AP Physics 1 (Grade 11)
- AP Physics 2
- AP Calculus AB
- AP Calculus BC
- AP Computer Science A
- AP Computer Science Principles (Grade 10)
- AP Statistics
- AP United States History (Grade 11)
- AP World History: Modern
- AP Psychology
- AP English Language and Composition (Grade 11)
- AP English Literature